I can't believe the first trimester is coming to an end! I have been assessing your children this week and I am pleased with the progress I am seeing so far! I am eager to share their progress and goals I have for them at conference time:).
1. Red assessment folders went home yesterday. Please look them over and help your child with any problems they missed. Return the tests in the folder as soon as possible. Don't forget to sign the paper in the left pocket so I know you saw the tests.
2. Conference sign up reminders will be emailed to you if they haven't been already. Please email me directly if you need to make any changes.
3. Raz Kids info is coming home today. Many of you have already received the username and password info. This info. was sent home last week, but email me if you have any questions. This is a reading program that we have been using in class. The students can read, listen, and answer questions to stories that are at their level:). Sometimes it is hard to find books your child can read on their own, but now there is! I'm giving this to you over the break so you and your child can explore together. Have your child show you what he/she does. They should know by now;). I am also including some tips for you so you understand what your child should be doing. The next homework assignments will include Raz-kids as part of their reading logfor homework. Please note that kids should read AND answer questions. If the story is nonfiction, please have your child read and listen before answering questions.
4. Box Tops: Paper is coming home today. Please have your child collect 20 Box Tops and turn them into our class. This is a great way to earn money for our school! Each Box Top is worth 10 cents and adds up quickly!
5. We are starting a new unit in Social Studies on maps. I have been reading Flat Stanley to the students about a boy who became flat after a bulletin board fell on him. He had many adventures because of his unique shape;).
Your children brought home their own Flat Stanley last Friday! Please have your child color and cut Flat Stanley. Be creative! Add glitter, fabric, yarn, wiggle eyes, foil…etc. Then send Stanley on a trip to visit a friend or family member. Send them the completed letter (on blue paper) and mail both the blue letter and Stanley. Encourage your friend or family member to take pictures and mail Stanley back with souvenirs! Please see the information in your child's folder for more details.
** You may wish to send it to someone you see at Thanksgiving. Think of someone and ask them ahead of time if they wouldn't mind taking Stanley around town and take some pictures. Students love bringing them back in January to share the adventures! Have fun!
**Due date is January 7, 2019
If I don't see you, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and I'll see you when we get back!